According the second report of Student-Parent Union (Veli-Der), 611 classrooms are quarantined in the second week of opening. İstanbul is the first with 101 isolated classes, followed by 73 classes in İzmir and 59 in Çorum. Also, a student dormitory is also isolated in Ordu.
“Schools are alarming.”
Veli-Der talked and complained about the situation in schools:
“Schools are alarming since, they have been opened without sufficient precautions against the COVID-19 pandemic. We get school quarantine news one by one around the Turkey. Aybastı Science High School in Ordu is completely shut down due to coronavirus. You risked the health of our children, educators one more time. You are responsible for every quarantine and every COVID-19 case.”
“Classrooms are too crowded.”
Veli-Der also published a report including a list of demands and information:
- The resignation of 15 thousand teachers should be done, and they need to start working now, not in February. The sufficient amount of regular teacher should be assigned immediately, not a contracted or a paid teacher.
- There should be enough budget for the Compensation Programme and preparations should immediately start.
- Teachers must be economically supported. The tuition for the additional classes should be increased and paid. The tuition should be increased by 100 percent for every hour of class after 30 hours.
- The number of students in classes should be decreased. Additional classes should be provided. Periods should be less, and class should be shorter. If necessary, dual education should be provided.
- A free mass transit should be provided for all teachers and students.
- All precautions including vaccine, hygiene, air conditioning, physical distance should be provided.
- 12 thousand 535 teachers lost their jobs in private schools despite the dismissal ban.
- Valid information must be provided to everyone. Ministry of Education must openly explain the number of infected teachers and students, quarantined schools immediately.